- Industrial organization
- Law and economics
- Contract theory
- Ph.D. Northwestern University, Managerical Economics and Strategy
- B.A. Peking University, Economics
Academic and Professional Experience
- Associate Professor of Economics, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, from July 2012
- Associate Editor, RAND Journal of Economics, from Oct 2020
- Assistant Professor of Economics, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, July 2005 - June 2012
- Bank of China, P.R. China, 1998 - 1999
School of Business and Management, HKUST
- Managerial Microeconomics (MBA, EMBA)
- Strategic Decisions with Economic Insight (EMBA)
- Competitive Strategy (MBA/MSc)
- Strategy and Organization (MBA/MSc/Executive Programs)
- Antitrust Economics and Competition Policy (MSc)
Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, 2004, 2005
- Statistical Methods for Management Decisions (MBA)
- "Settling Lawsuits with Pirates," Xinyu Hua and Kathryn E. Spier, International Economic Review, forthcoming
- "Indemnification, Monitoring, and Competition: Evidence from R&D Contracts," Di Guo, Xinyu Hua, and Kun Jiang, American Law and Economics Review, 2022, Vol. 24: pp. 203-246.
- “International Protection of Consumer Data,” Yongmin Chen, Xinyu Hua, and Keith Maskus, Journal of International Economics, 2021, Vol. 132.
- “Product Safety, Contracts, and Liability,” Xinyu Hua and Kathryn E. Spier, RAND Journal of Economics, 2020, Vol. 51: pp. 233-259.
- “Agency and Strategic Contracts: Theory and Evidence from R&D Agreements in the Pharmaceutical Industry,” Di Guo, Xinyu Hua, and Kun Jiang, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 2017, Vol. 54: pp. 37-64.
- “Competition, Product Safety, and Product Liability,” with Yongmin Chen, Yongmin Chen and Xinyu Hua, Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, 2017, Vol. 33: pp. 237-267.
- "Ex ante Investment, Ex post Remedies, and Product Liability," with Yongmin Chen, International Economic Review, 2012, Vol.53: pp.845-866.
- "The Right of First Offer," International Journal of Industrial Organization, 2012, Vol.30: pp.389-397.
- "Product Recall and Liability," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, 2011, Vol. 27: pp. 113-136 (accepted in 2009 and in print in 2011).
- "Strategic Ex-ante Contracts: Rent Extraction and Opportunity Costs," Rand Journal of Economics, 2007, Vol. 38: pp. 786-803.
- "Information and Externalities in Sequential Litigation," with Kathryn E. Spier, Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, 2005, 161(2): pp. 215-232.
- Auction and Business Strategy for some company
- Anti-trust cases for government authorities in China
Honors and Awards
- HKUST: Franklin Prize for Teaching Excellence (2008, 2011, 2016, 2020)
- Kellogg: Award for Excellent Teaching by PhD Student, 2005